Monday 7 November 2011

Quote of the day

Meyerhold's view on directing is very much at the core of what I seek to explore in my book, it seems:
"If you asked me today where the difficulty lies in the art of the director, I would say: 'It lies in the fact that he needs to contain the in-containable'. The challenge of the art of directing is that the director needs to be a musician most of all. He in particular has to deal with on of the most difficult aspects of the art of music, he develops the scenic movements always contrapuntally. That is a very difficult matter. […] If you'd ask me: 'Which core course in a faculty of a future theatre-university, which core course should form part of its curriculum?' – I would say: 'Naturally music'. If a director isn't a musician, then he isn't capable of developing a real production. Because a real production (I don't mean the opera, the theatre of the music-drama and the musical comedy –, I even mean such dramatic theatre, where the whole performance proceeds without any musical accompaniment) can only be devised by a musician as a director."

No comments:

Post a Comment